An entrepreneurial Interim Senior Business Development Executive specialising in transformation, line-management and leadership, development and implementation of compensation plan for results, organisational change management, cross division and cross function growth, strategy, business development, and focused on increasing shareholder value as well as interfacing with private equity at board level.
Health & Wellness, Hospitals, Medical Devices, IT (HW&SW), Telecommunications, Logistics, Power Utilities, Financial Services.
Strategy, takes direct responsibility and / or line management and as well as enabling related change management, business culture change, transformation, turnaround, business re-structure, sales improvement, CRM, communications and programme / program management, global interim management, business improvement, turnaround, rapid growth, BPR, start-up and major change
2013 to 2014 The Priory Group – Health & Wellness – Mental Health Hospitals, Special Education, Social Care
Interim Executive Account Director / Group Business Development Director London
Given responsibility for turning around two largest divisions of independent mental health, education and social-care provider to the NHS and local area governments. Increased occupancy 9% and 3% respectively and overall company occupancy to 8% (across 4 divisions). Dramatically increased sales team revenue and productivity. Refined and rolled-out a commission plan as well as designed and implemented a bespoke and internally developed inquiry system to provide sales data to track achievement and assist sales. Re-established and integrated a dormant CRM system, re-designed and changed referral process to focus on conversion to revenue and changed reporting lines to be more efficient for better productivity. Empowered and retrained sales team, engaged an independent prospect out-calling company to increase customer contact (paid for its yearly budget in under 3 months). Converted several hospitals to 100% occupied (from zero at 100%) as well as increased placements by 3% in company schools with 15 direct sales people and two support staff.
2011 to 2012 Tunstall Healthcare UK and Tunstall Group – Health & Wellness – Medical Devices telehealthcare
Interim Business Development Dir / Executive Acct Dir / Worldwide BDs & Distribution London
Directed UK sales (£23m) for key high growth area of business (telehealthcare) which evolved into a change-management engagement, addressing sales, business and sales strategy, sales support, finance, fulfilment, forecasting, reporting methodologies, manufacturing and training. Over-achieved targeted milestones, grew and organised pipeline and delivered significant revenue growth Y on Y. Promoted to have direct responsibility for worldwide sales (Europe, North America, SE Asia) and distribution worth in excess of €190m until end of fiscal year (Sept 2012)
2009 to 2010 Trilliant Networks Inc/ LTD – telecom for utilities
Vice President Business Development – EMEA London
Started up European office of a US smart-grid communications company. Achieved targeted milestones, delivered significant revenue and grew viable pipeline 200%. Successfully concluded agreement with world’s fourth largest utility. Managed marketing, strategic development, governmental and stakeholder organisations and represented the company at conferences and speaking engagements.
2007 Mail Logistics Company – logistics London
Interim Business Development and Marketing Director
Managed a £100 million sales portfolio with 6 direct reports and 68 sales reps at the Royal Mail’s leading competitor for business mail services. Reported to CEO with dotted line to private equity owners. Redesigned org structure & reward package and led sales to drive results prior to arrival of new Director.
2002-2006 World Notes, Ltd & World Notes, Llc – children’s educational media London & Boston
Founder and President
Executive production of high-quality educational media designed to introduce children to the wider world. First product received 5 key competitive awards.
2000-2002 Integrated Core Technologies – Enterprise Banking Software London & Madrid
Director, Marketing and Operations
Co-founder & director of a financial services software business. Sold to a publicly traded Swiss financial services firm (Temenos) in July 2001 for $25 million in cash and stock
1979-2000 International Business Machines (IBM) Worldwide
A dynamic career demonstrating flexibility and global experience. Operational experience throughout Europe, Asia, the USA and UK. Starting in 1990 career was focused on internal business start-ups, strategy, business process reengineering as well as turnaround and change management.
My IBM career spanned 20 years on three continents. The last 10 years there were 11 (change management) roles – a separate listing of those accomplishments are available on request.
1990-2000 Europe/Middle East/Africa Vienna, Kiev, Tirana, Warsaw, Belgrade, London, Paris & New York
1988-1990 Asia/Pacific New York, Tokyo, Sydney and Hong Kong
1979-1988 United States New York & New Jersey
Achievements and Results
- Took over an under-performing sales operation for mental healthcare and education and in 5 months grew sales 16% – in 12 months Y-on- Y 12% (Priory)
- Took over a sales team selling medical equipment (telehealth & telecare) to the NHS and Local Authorities and in 7 months grew sales 9% (Tunstall)
- Took over sales/operations of an independent corporate subsidiary and in 5 months grew sales 210% to $55 million (IBM Serbia)
- Reorganised and harmonised compensation of underperforming sales force across three newly combined businesses to drive maximum performance for £210 million private-equity owned business. (IBM Banking)
- Overhauled a sales support organisation to reduce headcount by 25% and increase productivity 100%. (IBM Poland)
- Streamlined operations for an under-performing sales organisation, doubled number of revenue producing business partners (to 25) and improved their revenue performance / yield by 33%. (IBM APG Software)
- Reorganised sales and operations for an independent IBM subsidiary, re-focused on large government and commercial accounts, doubled sales and reduced equipment backlog inventory. (IBM Serbia)
- Reorganised management reporting, sales focus and support for a Paris-based industry sales organisation (IBM Retail Industry)
- Designed and set up organisation to grow number of Western software developers for Asian market by 120% (to 110). (IBM APG Software)
- Established uniform performance standards and clear risk/reward incentive plan for team of 68 sales reps and 6 managers resulting in better management coordination and planning. (DX)
- Established new forecasting and pipeline methodology as well as re-focused entire business on selling rather than protecting power bases. Changed culture to understand that sales success is critical to everyone’s personal success. (Tunstall)
- Privately acquired IBM developed software for US $2.5 million and sold it in 16 months for $25 million. (ICT)
- Reorganised marketing and administrative operations and developed sales plans in five developing countries. (IBM Banking)
- Initiated and developed IT remarketer strategy, doubled the number of business partners by changing compensation and performing revenue performance. (IBM APG Software)
- Developed successful sales and operations plans to introduce two IT products to the European market, both of which met first year sales targets. (IBM Network Computer and Voice)
- Developed sales programs and business partners in under-performing territories and sold and installed in excess of $8 million annually in hardware and software for five consecutive years. (IBM US)
- Reduced customer and prospect base of 200+ to prioritise focus of underperforming team. Trimmed long tail by 60% and reduced administrative costs accordingly. (IBM Poland)
- Started up EMEA branch of a US clean-tech company. Developed and increased pipeline 200%, established vendor relationships with four strategic companies, established key partnerships and negotiated and signed 3 key agreements worth £3.1 m in the first 6 months. (Trilliant)
Management / Sales Team Development
- Organised IBM internal/external training for sales team and their managers – increased sales and profit (Tunstall and Priory)
- Mentored managers to reduce or eliminate micromanagement, increase sensitivity to all employees and improved productivity throughout the operations community. Trained senior country management to properly hire as well as make redundant under-performing or unneeded employees. (Tunstall)
- Developed managers to conduct training and take over roles in international markets. (IBM Poland/Serbia)
- Established two week training program for over 25 sales reps. Sales output doubled inside six months. (IBM Poland)
Education and Training
Columbia School of International Affairs – Master of International Affairs, IPE 1990 New York City
University of Notre Dame – Bachelor of Arts, World History 1979 South Bend, Indiana